Macquarie driving school Logo

"Macquarie Truck Driving School can help you to obtain your class HR Licence. We can offer various types of courses. We are specialised in HR driving training."

HR LICENCE NSW - Heavy Rigid

What is a Class HR Licence – Heavy Rigid?

Heavy Rigid Licence - Class HR licence vehicles in NSW include:

  • Trucks and buses with a GVM more than eight tonnes, and three or more axles
  • Any towed trailer must not weigh more than nine tonnes GVM
  • Bendy buses. Even though these vehicles are articulated, they’re treated as rigid vehicles.

Am I Eligible to apply for a HR licence?

To apply for a Heavy Rigid licence, you must:

  • Have held a class C licence, (except a learner licence) or equivalent for two years or more. Any time you've spent on a P1 licence counts, but you can't practice to drive an HR vehicle, or upgrade to an HR licence until you hold a P2 or full class C licence
  • Pass the HR knowledge test
  • Pass an eyesight test
  • Obtain HVCBA logbook and guide book from the RMS then successfully complete Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment, OR receive training to RMS DART standard and pass a Roads and Maritime driving test.

Which HR Licence should I get?

MACQUARIE DRIVING SCHOOL in Sydney can help you obtain your class HR licence. Heavy Rigid truck licence training is available to be booked at anytime and courses can be structured to suit individual needs. If you are looking to obtain a class HR licence Contact Us.

Upgrading to a Heavy Rigid licence from a normal car licence is the biggest upgrade step any person is allowed to take. Driving a Heavy Rigid vehicle is very different to driving car. The size of the vehicle can affect your road position perspective, turning lines, braking and maneuvering.

You have 2 options to consider when obtaining a HR licence;

1. Condition B Heavy Rigid licence - This will allow you to drive an Automatic HR and a Synchromesh HR (normal single clutch manual, same as a car) vehicle. This course is normally conducted in an automatic HR vehicle and can usually be completed in a 1 day course provided the criteria is met. This is a popular choice if you will not be driving crash gearboxes. Many industries use this type of vehicles.

2. Unrestricted Heavy Rigid licence – This is done in a HR vehicle fitted with a crash/road ranger gearbox which requires double clutching for gear changes and matching engine revs to road speed. Driving a Road ranger (crash) gearbox for the first time can also be challenging but once it is mastered you will have an unrestricted class HR licence which gives you the opportunity to drive all HR vehicles.


We understand that every person has different experience levels and can cater our courses to suit your needs.


Designed for drivers to develop the necessary skills, knowledge and attitude to obtain Heavy Rigid Driver's Licence.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: All students must:-

  • Complete Roads & Maritime Services (RMS) knowledge test questions successfully
  • Obtain Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment (HVCBA) learner's guidebook and logbook
  • HVCBA guidebook must be read thoroughly before starting training
  • Pass an HVCORS eligibility check (conducted by our staff on application)


Criteria 1 - Pre-operational Check

Criteria 2 - Cabin Drills

Criteria 3 - Start, move off, shut down and secure

Criteria 4 - Manage Steering

Criteria 5 - Manages Gears

Criteria 6 - Manages Brakes

Criteria 7 - Manages Accelerator

Criteria 8 - Create & Maintain Crash Avoidance Space

Criteria 9 - Protect Crash Avoidance Space

Criteria 10 - Road Rules and Directions

Criteria 11 - Reversing

Criteria 12 - Hill Stop/Start

Criteria 13 - Load Securing

Criteria 14 - Bus Stop Procedure (If course is conducted in a bus only)

Final competency assessment (FCA):

First, the Training Course must be completed which consists of the criteria listed above. You will be trained and assessed on these criteria, when you are up to standard you will be "signed off". Once the Training course is completed you will be required to sit the Final Competency Assessment, which is a final drive that will be video recorded as an RMS requirement. After the FCA has been completed successfully and the required standard of competency has been achieved you will be issued with a certification which the RMS will then use to issue you HR licence.



Contact Us

Macquarie Driving School

Macquarie Driving School

Phone: 0410 151 151

Phone: 0410 251 251

7 Harris Street

St Marys

NSW 2760



Enquire Now